FINAL: Navy 3, VCU 0 (Sports Backers Stadium – Richmond, Va.)
RECORDS: VCU (11-8-2), Navy (16-3-2)
VCU STARTERS: #21 Wells (GK), #3 Castillo, #4 Harvey, #7 Monge Solano, #10 Bowie, #12 Belmar, #14 Herrera Meraz, #16 Duffie, #18 Shiffman, #19 Keita, #24 Fisher
NAVY STARTERS: #30 Snyder (GK), #2 Shiiba, #7 Dubyoshi, #9 Arnold, #10 Dubee, #11 Bascom, #12 Vogel, #20 Greenspan, #21 Sanchez, #22 Shord, #23 Busse
- Navy scored three goals in a span of eight minutes to top the Rams at Sports Backers Stadium
- VCU earned their second consecutive berth to the NCAA Tournament, but the Midshipmen handed them their second straight loss after beating Duquesne in the first round of the Atlantic Ten Tournament.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- VCU forced Navy goalkeeper Gavin Snyder to make a pair of saves early in the match. First sophomore Devon Fisher fired a shot in the 10th minute right at the chest of Snyder. Three minutes later, junior Mario Herrera Meraz tested Snyder with a shot that went through his hands but over the goal.
- VCU senior goalkeeper Andrew Wells made his first save of the match in the 15th minute when a Navy forward took a shot that forced Wells to make a save to his left.
- Two minutes later Wells made another save when Midshipmen defender Nick Dubee fired a shot forcing Wells to dive to his left again.
- In the 32nd minute, Heraz took another shot from the top of the box, but it missed wide.
- Junior Jose Manel had an opportunity three minutes later, but his shot was saved by Snyder for his third save of the match.
- On the attack, sophomore defender Dennis Castillo had a pair of looks in the last seven minutes of the first half, but missed high with both of his chances.
- Junior Ritchie Duffie had a good look for VCU in the 54th minute, but it missed wide.
- Navy got on the board in the 68th minute after Martin Sanchez fired a shot from the top of the box into the lower right corner of the net.
- Three minutes later, Navy scored again off the foot of Geoff Fries, who finished a deflected clearance into the lower left corner of the net.
- Fries added an insurance goal in the 76th minute by chipping the ball over a sliding Wells to extend Navy's lead to three.
- VCU looked to get a goal back in the 81st minute, but Kharlton Belmar's shot missed the left side netting by less than a foot.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- VCU reached the NCAA Tournament for the second straight year.
- VCU outshot the Midshipmen 17-16, but Navy had a 4 shot advantage on goal.
- Wells made four saves in the match. Manel led the Rams in shots with four, and Herrera Meraz fired three, with two on goal.
- The Rams finished their 2013 home slate 6-3-1.
WHAT'S AHEAD: VCU ended their season 11-8-2.