FINAL: VCU 3, Fordham 0 (Sports Backers Stadium – Richmond, Va.)
RECORDS: VCU (9-5-2, 4-1-1 A-10), Fordham (5-9-1, 2-3-1 A-10)
VCU STARTERS: #21 Wells (GK), #3 Castillo, #4 Harvey, #7 Monge Solano, #10 Bowie, #12 Belmar, #14 Herrera Meraz, #16 Duffie, #18 Shiffman, #19 Keita, #24 Fisher
FORDHAM STARTERS: #0 Naples (GK), #3 Bouchard, #4 Hickey, #7 Gimand, #9 Granot, #14 Agostino, #17 Walano, #18 Stalker, #21 Walsh, #23 McNamara, #24 Kelly
- Three different Rams found the net, including senior Garrett Harvey who scored the game-winner in the seventh minute, and VCU cruised to a 3-0 victory over Fordham on Senior Day Sunday afternoon at Sports Backers Stadium.
- The Rams, who are 6-1-1 since a victory against 22nd-ranked Saint Louis on Oct.6, posted their fifth shutout in their last seven matches.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- VCU wasted little time getting on the board as the Rams pulled ahead 1-0 in the seventh minute off a corner kick. Junior Juan Monge Solano lofted a cross from the right corner in front of the net where Fordham goalkeeper Alex Naples made a stop on junior Kharlton Belmar's strike; however, Harvey fired back the rebound to give VCU the early lead.
- Belmar had another chance just over three minutes later when he drove through the middle of the box and fired a point-blank shot but Naples made his second stop of the match.
- Junior Mario Herrera Meraz nearly extended VCU's lead in the 14th minute when Naples again made a diving save to the right post on his header attempt following a cross from sophomore Dennis Castillo.
- Junior Ritchie Duffie fired to the near post four minutes later but Naples made another snag to keep it a one-goal game.
- Freshman Rahim Costa-Dorsey beat a pair of Fordham defenders and drove down left sideline in the 36th minute, where he sent a cross to the middle of the box to Duffie who fired near post but Naples collected his fourth save.
- Herrera Meraz pushed VCU's lead to 2-0 in the 52nd minute when he fired a strike from the left side of the box into the lower right corner.
- Belmar later gave VCU a three-goal advantage in the 72nd minute when he fired back-to-back shots. Naples made a save on the first offering before he stuck back the rebound for a 3-0 lead.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- VCU held a 14-3 advantage in shots, including an 8-0 margin in shots on goal.
- Harvey netted his second game-winner of the year in his final regular season match at Sports Backers Stadium.
- Senior goalkeeper Andrew Wells has allowed just three goals in his last 740 minutes, including five clean sheets in his last seven outings.
- Belmar scored his fifth goal of the season, while Herrera Meraz found the net for the first time.
- The Rams finished their 2013 home slate 6-2-1.
WHAT'S AHEAD: VCU closes out the regular season with back-to-back road matches at St. Bonaventure on Nov. 8 and Duquesne on Nov. 10.