VCU Defeats Defending National Champ Indiana 1-0, Rams Pick Up Fourth Straight Win
FINAL: VCU 1, Indiana 0 (Sports Backers Stadium – Richmond, Va.)
RECORDS: VCU (7-4-1), Indiana (4-9-1)
VCU STARTERS: #21 Wells (GK), #3 Castillo, #4 Harvey, #7 Monge Solano, #10 Bowie, #12 Belmar, #16 Duffie, #18 Shiffman, #19 Keita, #23 Manel, #24 Fisher
INDIANA STARTERS: #1 Soderlund (GK), #4 Hollinger-Janzen, #5 McKain, #7 Petts, #8 Kotlov, #10 Corrado, #15 Vollmer, #17 Bushue, #19 Doody, #23 Bradford, #24 Schall
- Sophomore Dennis Castillo converted a penalty kick in the 68th minute to lift VCU to a 1-0 victory over defending national champion Indiana on Friday evening at Sports Backers Stadium.
- VCU continues to add to its impressive list of wins over marquee programs this season, including Indiana, Akron and Maryland.
- The Rams extended their season-long win streak to four matches, outscoring opponents 10-2 during that stretch. VCU has also won seven of its last 10 outings.
- The Black and Gold posted its second shutout in its last three games.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Indiana tallied three shots during the first nine minutes of the match but had just four midway through the opening period.
- Junior Ritchie Duffie sent a cross to classmate Jose Manel in the middle of the box in the 31st minute but Indiana goalkeeper Michael Soderlund made a snag on Manel's header to keep VCU out the net.
- Just over a minute later, junior Kharlton Belmar connect with senior Romena Bowie, who fired a shot from the top of the box, but his offering was blocked by an Indiana defender.
- Nikita Kotlov drove through the left side of the box and launched a shot to the far post in the 39th minute but senior goalkeeper Andrew Wells made a diving stop to keep the Hoosiers off the board.
- Wells continued his strong play late in the opening stanza, posting five of his six saves in the final seven minutes to keep the match scoreless at intermission. The Rams also registered a team save on a strike from Patrick Doody in the 40th minute.
- VCU eventually got on the board in the board in the 68th minute when Jacob Bushue was called for a hand ball following a cross from Duffie on left wing. Castillo then pushed the ensuing penalty kick inside the left post past a diving Soderland to give the Rams a 1-0 advantage.
- Wells came up with another save on a shot off the foot of Kotlov in the 80th minute.
- Belmar tried to extend VCU's lead three minutes later when drove through the middle of the field and launched a strike from just outside the box, but Soderlund came up with another big save to keep it a one-goal game.
- Indiana tried to net the equalizer in the closing minutes of the match when Jamie Vollmer sent a cross from the right wing to A.J. Corrado, who fired just wide of the near post in the 87th minute.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- Castillo netted his second game-winning goal of the season and first penalty kick.
- Indiana outshot VCU 21-8, including a 10-2 edge in shots on goal.
- Wells posted eight saves, while the Rams collected 10 overall.
- Manel fired a team-high three shots for the Rams.
WHAT'S AHEAD: VCU travels to George Mason on Oct. 20. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. The Rams return to Sports Backers Stadium to face La Salle on Oct. 25.