VCU Cruises to 4-0 Win Over UMass in A-10 Opener
FINAL: VCU 4, UMass 0 (Richmond, Va. – Sports Backers Stadium)
RECORDS: VCU (4-4-1, 1-0-0 A-10), UMass (1-8-1, 0-1-0 A-10)
VCU STARTERS: #21 Wells (GK), #3 Castillo, #4 Harvey, #7 Monge Solano, #10 Bowie, #12 Belmar, #16 Duffie, #18 Shiffman, #19 Keita, #23 Manel, #24 Fisher
UMASS STARTERS: #1 Ruiz (GK), #4 Belza, #5 DeMarco, #6 Jess, #7 Alvaro, #12 Negm, #15 Pavone, #16 Keys, #18 Pease, #23 Schwartz, #24 Morris
- Four different VCU players found the net as the Rams cruised to 4-0 victory over UMass in their Atlantic 10 opener Friday night at Sports Backers Stadium.
- VCU posted its second straight victory and third shutout of the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- VCU got on the board in the ninth minute following a free kick from the right wing. Junior Juan Monge Solano sent a cross into the box where junior Kharlton Belmar tapped the ball into the right corner for a 1-0 lead.
- Belmar nearly found the net again three minutes later when Nick Ruiz came up with his first save of the match. The Virginia Beach, Va. native threatened in the 14th minute when his chip shot just missed the far post from about 20 yards away.
- The Rams extend their lead in the 20th minute. Monge Solano sent a pass to junior Ritchie Duffie, who fired a shot off the far post from the left side of the box. Sophomore Dennis Castillo then finished the rebound past Ruiz to the near post for a 2-0 advantage.
- VCU remained on the attack as junior Jose Manel blasted a shot from the top of the box in the 22nd minute but Ruiz made a diving save to the right post.
- Junior Assane Keita and Duffie each had a look in the 62nd and 67th minutes, respectively, but couldn't find the net.
- Freshman Rahim Costa-Dorsey scored his first collegiate goal with a shot to the left side netting from about 12 yards out, which pushed the Rams' lead to 3-0 in the 77th minute.
- Ruiz collected his third save of the night six minutes later on a strike from junior Mario Herrera Meraz.
- Duffie then gave the Rams a four-goal advantage when he scored his first career goal with a shot from the top of the box into the lower left corner with seven minutes to play.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- VCU held a 14-10 advantage in shots.
- Belmar fired a game-high four shots with two on goal.
- Wells made three saves in net to pick up his third shutout of the season.
- Costa-Dorsey and Duffie each scored their first career goals.
WHAT'S AHEAD: VCU continues its four-game home stand on Sunday, Oct. 13 against Rhode Island at Noon. The Rams then welcome defending national champion Indiana to Sports Backers Stadium on Oct. 18.