VCU Battles Northeastern to 1-1 Draw
FINAL- Northeastern 1, VCU 1 (Richmond, Va.)
VCU STARTERS: #21 Wells, #5 Haboush, #10 Bowie, #11 Johnson, #14 Meraz, #16 Arbelaez, #19 Keita, #22 Seymour, #24 Fisher, and #25 Bates
NORTHEASTERN STARTERS: #23 Blum (GK), #3 Moss, #5 Cox, #6 Eckford, #7 Lara, #8 Carter, #9 Fayd, #12 Anding, #14 Marini, #20 Devoy, and #22 Lobben
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Northeastern (5-1-2) began the game on the attack early with Terrance Carter firing a shot in the first minute, but the shot was wide. In the third minute Donovan Fayd came up with another chance for Northeastern, however, redshirt junior goalkeeper Andrew Wells was there for the stop.
- VCU (4-1-3) would mount a counter attack in the sixth minute, when sophomore Mario Herrera Meraz fired a shot, but Northeastern goalkeeper Oliver Blum was there for the save.
- In the 12th minute the Rams would take the lead. Junior Nate Shiffman sent a through ball into the box, where classmate Jason Johnson slipped the ball past Blum and into the left corner of the goal to give the Rams a 1-0 lead.
- VCU would continue on the attack, after the goal. The Black and Gold fired five shots in a six minute span midway through the first half. Jack Bates, Joseph Haboush, Shiffman, Romena Bowie, and Mario Herrera Meraz all taking shots, but they were blocked.
- Northeastern would tie the match in the 58th minute. Dante Marini sent a ball in the box to Don Anding, who was able to put the ball in the left corner of the goal to knot the score at one.
- Off of a free kick in the 66th minute, Shiffman had a chance to give the Rams a lead once again, but his shot was saved by Blum.
- In the 82nd minute senior Juan Arbelaez rocketed a shot from the right wing that was saved by Blum.
- Northeastern opened up the attack in the first overtime. Fayd had a look from just outside of the box, and VCU stepped in front of the shot to keep the game tied.
- VCU's opportunity in the first overtime was in the 96th minute. Johnson took a shot, however the ball sailed high and over the net.
- In the second overtime VCU came up with a chance in the 106th minute. Freshman Devon Fisher took a shot, and Blum came up with the save.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- Johnson scored his sixth goal of the season, which is good for the most on the Rams' team. He has five goals in as many games.
- Shiffman's assist was his first point of the 2012 season.
- Bates earned his first career start in the backline for the Rams.
- After being issued a red card, the Rams played the final 39 minutes with only 10 men.
"I was proud of the guys for grinding out the draw after going down a man with 45 minutes go. I thought we had a little lull to start the second half and ended up giving up a goal during that time."
- VCU Head Coach Dave Giffard on the Rams' overall performance.
"[Jason] Johnson scored a very good goal on an assist from [Shiffman] to get us off to a good start. Overall we had a very strong first 45 minutes and probably should have been up by two or three."
- Giffard on the first half of play
"With a few starters out, I thought Jack Bates came in and did very well in his first career start."
- Giffard on Jack Bates first career start
"We finished the non-conference portion of our schedule at 4-1-3 and are in good position heading into our Atlantic 10 schedule. Now we look forward to last year's national runner-up Charlotte on Friday night"
- Giffard on the road ahead
The Rams will open their inaugural season in the Atlantic 10 next weekend. VCU will host Charlotte on Friday Oct. 5 at 7 p.m. at Sports Backers Stadium.