Score: VCU 88, Iona 59
Location: Richmond, Va. (E.J. Wade Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center)
Attendance: 7,637 (122nd consecutive sellout)
The short story: Redshirt junior guard Marcus Evans led the Rams with 19 points and six rebounds as VCU outpaced Iona 88-59 in a wire-to-wires victory to move to 6-2 on the season. VCU forced 23 Gaels turnovers and held Iona to .373 shooting (19-of-51) from the field.
- Evans provided 19 points on 4-of-10 shooting, including 3-of-5 from beyond the arc and 8-of-10 shooting from the free throw line. He also added six rebounds and three steals
- Sophomore Marcus Santos-Silva just missed his first career double-double for the Black and Gold. The 6-foot-7 forward contributed 12 points and nine rebounds
- Redshirt sophomore forward Corey Douglas locked down the paint for the Rams, blocking four shots, while grabbing five rebounds. He also scored 11 points on 4-of-8 shooting
- Iona was led by guards Rickey McGill and E.J. Crawford, who each provided 16 points and had a combined 13 rebounds.
- Four Rams scored in double figures and 11 of 12 players who appeared in the game scored
- Douglas sparked a 12-0 VCU run out of the gates with a 3-pointer, breakaway dunk and a pair of blocked shots. The Rams would not look back
- The Gaels would cut the lead to 18-11 with 10:14 left in the first period, but two Douglas free-throws ignited an 18-2 VCU run. A 3-pointer by junior guard De'Riante Jenkins 6:21 remaining in the half pushed the VCU advantage to 36-13. VCU entered the locker room at halftime with a 46-27 lead
- With the Rams leading by 22 at the 11:13 mark of the second half, Gilmore was on the receiving end of a P.J. Byrd pass for his second dunk of the game. The play sparked an 18-6 VCU run that gave the Rams their largest lead of the game at 84-50
- The Rams shot .424 (28-of-66) from the field and knocked down 11 three-pointers
- VCU turned 23 Iona turnovers into 27 points, scored 32 points in the paint and owned an 22-8 advantage in second chance points
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- VCU totaled 14 steals and seven blocked shots in the game
- The Rams outscored Iona 26-10 in fast break points
- The Rams held a 27-3 advantage in points off turnovers
VCU returns to action on Wednesday, Dec. 5 when the Rams travel to the Frank C. Erwin Center in Austin, Texas for an 8 p.m. matchup with Texas. ESPNU will televise the contest.
POSTGAME PRESS CONFERENCE