Score: #8 VCU 77, #9 Dayton 72
Location: Washington, D.C. (Capital One Arena)
Records: VCU 18-14, Dayton 14-17
The short story: Trailing Dayton 70-65 with 3:16 remaining, VCU closed the game on a 12-2 run to retake the lead and advance to the Atlantic 10 Men's Basketball Championship Quarterfinals.
- Five Rams scored in double figures led by Justin Tillman's team-high 15 points and 10 rebounds.
- Jonathan Williams scored 14 points on 5-of-6 shooting, including an off balance, left-handed layup in the lane for the go-ahead bucket with 58 seconds remaining.
- De'Riante Jenkins and Sean Mobley each scored 11 points.
- VCU led 38-33 at halftime and increased its lead to 45-35 with 17:47 left in the second half.
- Dayton outscored VCU 21-12 over the next 9:25 to trim the Rams' lead to just 57-56.
- The game was tied four times and the lead changed hands four times during the final 7:56 until Williams' jumper gave VCU the lead for good.
- VCU shot 49.1 percent from the field while the Flyers shot 42.9 percent.
- The Rams were 13-of-21 at the free throw line while Dayton was 13-of-16.
- VCU's bench outscored Dayton's 16-7 and the Rams had a 12-8 advantage in points off of turnovers.
- Dayton led VCU 16-7 in second chance points after grabbing 10 offensive rebounds. VCU only had five offensive boards during the contest.
- VCU committed a season-low seven turnovers in the win.
- Tillman recorded his 17th double-double of the season and the 33rd of his career. He has registered a double-double in each of his last six games.
- VCU's record is now 13-4 all-time in the Atlantic 10 Men's Basketball Championship.
VCU will face No. 1 seed Rhode Island at noon on March 9 at the Capital One Arena. The game will be televised live on NBC Sports Network.