Score: #22 Rhode Island 81, VCU 68
Location: Richmond, Va. (E.J. Wade Arena)
Records: VCU 14-9 (6-4 Atlantic 10) Rhode Island 19-3 (11-0)
Attendance: 7,637 (113th consecutive sellout)
- Senior Justin Tillman poured in 22 points for the Rams and grabbed six rebounds. It was Tillman's 12th game with at least 20. The senior forward also blocked two shots.
- Freshman forward Sean Mobley recorded a career high 15 points, all of which came in the first half. Mobley knocked down all four of his attempts from beyond the arc and was 5-of-7 overall from the field.
- Sophomore guard De'Riante Jenkins added nine points to the Rams' effort and dished out three assists.
- Rhode Island's E.C. Matthews lead four double-digit scorers with 18 points and five rebounds.
- VCU kept the game close in the first half behind Mobley's hot 3-point shooting, and entered halftime down by just three. Mobley buried back-to-back threes late in the first half to halt a 9-0 Rhody run and pull VCU within 36-33.
- Rhode Island ultimately won the game on the glass. URI outrebounded VCU 47-31 overall, including 19-8 on the offensive glass. As a result, Rhode Island managed a 26-6 edge in second-chance points.
- Rhode Island's bench added 25 points to VCU's 12.
- Tillman posted his 20th double-digit game of the season and 57th of his career.
- Mobley was 4-of-4 from three in the first half alone, a career-high for the freshman from Cocoa Beach, Fla.
The Rams travel across town for their second matchup with the Richmond Spiders on Wednesday, Feb. 7. That game takes place at 9 p.m. at the Robins Center and will be broadcast on CBS Sports Network.