Score: Dayton 106, VCU 79
Location: Dayton, Ohio (UD Arena)
Records: VCU 11-7 (3-2 A-10), Dayton 9-8 (3-2)
The short story: Senior forward Justin Tillman recorded his seventh straight double-double, but it wasn't enough for VCU to hold off lights-out Dayton Friday night at UD Arena.
- Tillman scored 20 of his team-high 26 points in the first half for the Rams. He also grabbed 12 rebounds and handed out three assists. Tillman was 10-of-16 from the field, including 2-of-4 from 3-point range.
- Senior Johnny Williams added 11 points, six assists and three steals for VCU.
- Sophomore De'Riante Jenkins also provided 11 points to the VCU cause.
- Darrell Davis led all players with 28 points and nine assists for Dayton, while Jordan Davis provided 21.
- Dayton opened the game with a flurry of 3-pointers and built a 66-41 halftime lead behind 69 percent (24-of-35) shooting from the field.
- The Flyers buried 10-of-16 from beyond the arc in the first half alone and were 17-of-32 from long distance in the game.
- Dayton shot 63 percent (39-of-62) overall in the game.
- Tillman has nine double-doubles this season and 25 in his career. The senior from Detroit has produced a double-double in 16 of his last 23 Atlantic 10 Conference games.
- VCU shot 48 percent (29-of-60) from the field Friday.
The Rams will return home and face Richmond on Wednesday, Jan. 17 at 7 p.m. at the E.J. Wade Arena. That game will be broadcast exclusively on Facebook.