Score: VCU 85, Bucknell 79
Location: Richmond, Va. (E.J. Wade Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center)
Records: VCU 6-5, Bucknell 4-6
Attendance: 7,637 (106th consecutive sellout)
The short story: Senior forward Justin Tillman poured in a game-high 26 points, including a critical bucket in the final moments to push VCU to an 85-79 win over Bucknell Saturday. It was Tillman's fifth consecutive game of 20 or more points.
- Tillman poured in 26 points and grabbed seven rebounds in his seventh double figure game of the season. Tillman also knocked down 7-of-8 attempts from the free throw line, an area that VCU thrived in throughout the contest.
- Senior point guard Johnny Williams scored 16 points and provided six assists. Williams finished the night 6-of-10 from the floor and sank his 10th three pointer of the season. The senior grabbed three steals in the contest.
- After missing the past four games due to a left-ankle sprain sophomore Malik Crowfield three big 3-pointers and finished with 12 points. He also added a steal and two assists.
- Freshman forward Marcus Santos-Silva added seven points and six rebounds off the bench for the Rams.
- Bucknell senior center Nana Foulland led the team with 21 points and 13 boards on his way to a double-double. Three other Bisons scored double-digits
- Bucknell jumped out to an early lead during the first five minutes, but a 17-4 run by VCU recaptured the momentum and gave the Rams a 28-21 lead.
- Williams buried a 3-pointer in the final moments of the first half to send VCU to the locker room with a 46-36 advantage.
- With 18 seconds left in the game Bucknell trailed by just three, but a Justin Tillman offensive rebound and layup was enough to put VCU in the driver seat for the time remaining.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The game featured 11 lead changes.
- VCU scored 23 points off of turnovers to Bucknell's 16.
- VCU hit on 20-of-23 (.870) attempts from the free throw line.
- Bucknell coughed the ball up 17 times to VCU's 11.
VCU hosts 6-4 Winthrop at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 19 at the E.J. Wade Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center. VCU is 3-0 all-time against the Eagles. That game will be shown locally on CBS 6.3.