Score: Georgia Tech 76, VCU 73
Location: E.J. Wade Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center
Records: VCU 6-3, Georgia Tech 5-3
Attendance: 7,637 (87th consecutive sellout)
- The game featured five ties and four lead changes after halftime.
- Georgia Tech took a 75-73 lead on a jumper by Josh Heath with 1:21 remaining in overtime and withstood five VCU possessions in the waning moments.
- Tillman narrowly missed his career-high of 27 points, set last season, for the Rams. He knocked down 10-of-16 from the field and 6-of-7 from the free throw line. He grabbed four offensive rebounds.
- Senior guard JeQuan Lewis added 16 points, 7 assists and 4 rebounds, while classmate Doug Brooks provided 10 points and 4 steals for the Black & Gold.
- Tadric Jackson led the Yellow Jackets with 24 points – 19 in the second half and overtime alone - and Ben Lammers contributed 16 points, 8 rebounds and 4 blocks.
- Lewis drove the right side of the lane for a layup to give VCU a 72-70 lead early in overtime, but Jackson answered seconds later with a 3-pointer for Georgia Tech. A Lewis free throw with 1:50 remaining tied the score one final time before Heath's timely shot gave the Yellow Jackets the lead for good.
- VCU had several chances to tie the game or cut into Tech's lead. On the final play of the game, the Rams inbounded with 1.2 seconds left to Brooks at midcourt. He narrowly missed a game-tying 3-point heave.
- The Rams erased an 8-point halftime deficit. Tillman scored six points during an 8-2 VCU burst early in the second half to grab a 43-41 lead with 15:13 left. The Yellow Jackets eventually built a 61-54 cushion with 7:16 remaining, only to watch VCU stage a 9-2 run, punctuated by four straight Tillman points, to knot the contest again at 63-all.
- A bucket by Tillman with 55 seconds left tied the game at 70-all, where it would stand until overtime.
- Georgia Tech shot .475 (29-of-61) in the contest, including .560 (14-of-25) in the second half.
- The Yellow Jackets forced 21 VCU turnovers (and committed 20 of their own).
- Alie-Cox blocked three shots Wednesday, his third straight game (and fourth in the last five) with at least three rejections.
- VCU lost for just the 13th time in its 87-game sellout streak.
VCU will turn its attention to Old Dominion. The Rams will visit the Monarchs on Saturday, Dec. 10 in Norfolk. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m.