Score: Queens 75, VCU 73
Location: Richmond, Va. (E.J. Wade Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center)
The Short Story: VCU senior JeQuan Lewis scored a game-high 24 points, but Queens University of Charlotte's Ike Agusi hit a driving layup with 1.3 seconds left to push the Royals past the Rams in an exhibition contest Friday.
- Lewis knocked down 6-for-10 from behind 3-point line and was a perfect 4-for-4 from the free throw line for VCU.
- Justin Tillman fell one rebound shy of a double-double, chipping in with 15 points and nine boards in 21 minutes of action.
- Mo Alie-Cox added 11 points with five rebounds, shooting 9-for-10 from the free throw line.
- Jalin Alexander scored 19 to lead Queens, which won 27 games last season and advanced to the second round of the NCAA Division II Tournament. Mike Davis added 17 points and nine steals for the Royals.
- VCU trailed by as many as 11 points in the second half, but rallied to tie the score at 73-all on a pair of Alie-Cox free throws with 9.4 seconds remaining.
- However, Agusi took the inbounds and drove up the left side before slicing left to right through the lane for a layup with 1.3 remaining. A VCU halfcourt heave at the buzzer did not fall.
- The Rams trailed 55-46 with 12:10 remaining, but Tillman kicked off a 12-0 VCU run with a jumper in the lane and a pair of free throws on the ensuing possession.
- Alexander later answered with five straight points for the Royals to give Queens a 62-56 edge.
- Freshman Malik Crowfield, who scored eight points in his VCU debut, hit a clutch three-pointer to bring the Rams back within 70-69 with 1:18 to play.
- Queens knocked down 11-of-23 three-pointers in the game and forced 25 turnovers.
- Although turnovers hurt the Rams, VCU kept itself in the game with outstanding free throw shooting (25-of-28) and a 41-29 advantage on the glass.
VCU kicks off its 2016-17 campaign on Friday, Nov. 11 when the Rams play host to UNC Ashville at the Siegel Center. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m.