Mar 16, 2017
WHAT: VCU vs. Saint Mary's (NCAA Tournament First Round)
WHERE: Salt Lake City, Utah (Vivint Smart Home Arena)
WHEN: March 16, 7:20 p.m.
THE SERIES: Never met
LAST MEETING: n/a
- VCU heads to Salt Lake City, Utah for its 16th overall and seventh consecutive NCAA Tournament apperance. Of the Rams seven straight bids, dating back to their Final Four run in 2011, five, including this year's, have been of the at-large variety.
- The Rams are coming off a runner-up finish at the 2017 Atlantic 10 Conference Championship at PPG Paints Arena in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. VCU defeated George Mason in the quarterfinals and rival Richmond in the semifinals before falling to Rhode Island 70-63 in the championship game Sunday. Senior guard JeQuan Lewis was named to the league's All-Tournament Team for his efforts over the weekend.
- The Rams have never faced any of the three teams in its portion of the bracket in Salt Lake City.
- VCU is 8-7 all-time as a double-digit seed, including a 1-1 effort last year as a No. 10. The Rams topped seventh-seeded Oregon State in the first round in Oklahoma City before falling to second-seeded Oklahoma.
- Five Rams: JeQuan Lewis, Doug Brooks, Mo Alie-Cox, Torey Burston and Jordan Burgess are making their fourth career NCAA appearance.
- Lewis averaged 21.5 points, 8.5 assists and 5.5 rebounds in two NCAA Tournament games last season in Oklahoma City.