|High School:||St. Benedict's Prep (NJ)|
|MELVIN JOHNSON - CAREER STATISTICS
· 2013-14 Atlantic 10 Sixth Man of the Year
· Shooting guard who possesses outstanding range from beyond the arc
· Scoring ability is a welcome addition to VCU’s HAVOC style of play
COACH SMART ON MELVIN:
“He’s had a phenomenal summer. He’s poised to have a very good junior season but again, as an upperclassman, you have to shift to it’s not just about following the process to make myself the player I want to be, but it’s a team sport so how do I make my team successful,’ and that’s off the floor as well. It’s going to come down to how good of a job can he do adhering to the pro-cess and translating it to game situations, which always occur in a team setting.”
CAREER AT VCU:
· Scored at least 20 points in consecutive games to open up the season, becoming the first VCU player to do that in nearly 25 years
· Reached double figures in scoring 18 times as a sophomore despite starting just seven games
PRIOR TO VCU:
· Consensus top-100 guard out of St. Benedict’s Prep in Newark, N.J. Rated four stars by every major recruiting service and ranked as high as the 76th-best player in the Class of 2012 by Scout.com. Scout also ranks Johnson as the 14th-best incoming shooting guard in the country.
· As a senior, he helped lead St. Benedict’s to a 35-3 record and a top-20 ranking by USA Today. During that year, he averaged 20.8 points and knocked down 82 three-point field goals.
· As As a member of the Long Island Lightning AAU squad in 2011, Johnson earned MVP of the Hoop Group Elite Camp Session I.
· Began his prep career at famed Rice High School in Harlem, but moved to St. Benedict’s when the school closed.
· Originally a University of Miami signee, Johnson picked VCU over a host of suitors following the reopening of his recruitment. Marquette, Georgetown, Villanova and Dayton were among those interested in Johnson.