- Score: Saint Joseph's 65, VCU 61
- Records: VCU (26-8), Saint Joseph's (24-9)
- Location: Barclays Center – Brooklyn, N.Y.
- The Short Story: Senior Rob Brandenberg and junior Treveon Graham combined for 33 points and 13 rebounds, but it wasn't enough as the VCU men's basketball team dropped a tough 65-61 decision in the Atlantic 10 Championship. It was the fourth straight championship game appearance for the Black & Gold. Brandenberg finished with a team-high 18 points on 7-of-15 shooting, while Graham added 15 points and nine rebounds.
How It Happened
- Saint Joe's jumped out to an early 11-4 lead after a 3-pointer by Halil Kanacevic and a dunk by Ronald Roberts with 13:43 to play in the first half.
- A 3-pointer by Brandenberg ignited a 7-0 VCU run that tied it up at 11 with 11:24 left before the break.
- Back-to-back threes from Langston Galloway gave SJU a six-point lead that got to eight with 6:29 to play, but a jumper from Juvonte Reddic with 1:13 to play in the half sent the teams into the half with a 28-24 lead.
- Brandenberg and Graham kept the Rams chipping away at the lead in the second half, eventually tying the game at 35 on a three-pointer by Brandenberg with 15:38 to play.
- The teams traded baskets before Graham knocked down a 3-pointer that started an 8-2 run that gave VCU it's largest lead of the game at 48-42 with 10:23 to play.
- SJU would claw back and tie the game twice over the next five minutes, but a layup by Reddic with 4:32 to play gave VCU a 52-50 advantage.
- The Hawks would once again tie the game at 54 and a stepback 3-pointer by Galloway would give them a 57-54 lead with 2:28 remaining.
- After the Rams had a 3-pointer bounce out, Roberts got open on a press break for a dunk to make it a five-point SJU lead.
- VCU would never give up, getting a 3-poitner by Graham with 22 seconds remaining to make it a three point game, but couldn't get enough points late as the Hawks prevailed and took home the Atlantic 10 title.
- Brandenberg, Graham and junior Briante Weber were all named to the Atlantic 10 All-Tournament team.
- VCU will return to Richmond and await their opponent in the NCAA Tournament. The field of 68 is announced on Sunday evening on CBS.