March 14, 2014
RAMS ROLL INTO A-10 SEMIFINALS WITH 71-53 DEFEAT OF RICHMOND
- Score: #23/#25 VCU 71, Richmond 53
- Records: VCU (25-7), Richmond (19-14)
- Location: Barclays Center – Brooklyn, N.Y.
- The Short Story: Junior Briante Weber scored 16 points in the first half to lead the VCU men's basketball of to the races as the Rams rolled past city rival, Richmond, 71-53, in the Atlantic 10 quarterfinals on Friday evening. Weber finished with 18 points on 8-of-10 shooting, along with five rebounds and two steals in just 18 minutes. The Rams controlled the boards 50-28 behind 10 boards from freshman Mo Alie-Cox. Junior Treveon Graham (14) and sophomore Melvin Johnson (13) were the other two Rams in double-figures.
How It Happened
- Weber scored six of the game's first nine points as the Rams jumped out to an 8-1 lead four minutes into the game. VCU's defense held the Spiders without a field goal for the first 5:26 of the game.
- After the teams traded baskets, Weber, Johnson and Graham all knocked down 3-pointers to spark a 15-2 VCU run that pushed the Rams lead to 33-15 with 3:37 to play in the first half.
- VCU's first-half lead reached 19 before Richmond scored four of the half's final five points to send the Rams into the break with a 38-22 cushion.
- The Spiders would get within 13 in the first four minutes of the second half, but Alie-Cox had a monster dunk and three offensive rebounds to spark a quick 7-0 spurt to push VCU's lead to 20, 51-31 with 13:45 remaining.
- Richmond would get no closer than 14 the rest of the way as the Rams would put together another 10-0 late which saw the cushion grow to 24, 71-47, with just under two minutes left.
- VCU takes on third-seeded George Washington for the third time this season in the Atlantic 10 semifinals. Game time on CBS Sports Network is set for 4 p.m.