- Score: Saint Joseph's 69, VCU 62
- Records: Saint Joseph's (16-7, 6-3 A10), VCU (19-5, 7-2 A10)
- Location: Hagan Arena – Philadelphia, Pa.
- The Short Story: Junior Treveon Graham scored eight of his 13 points in the final six minutes to bring the VCU men's basketball back within three, but it wasn't enough as Saint Joseph's hung on for the 69-62 win to snap the Rams' six-game winning streak. Senior Juvonte Reddic led the Rams with 17 points and eight rebounds, while sophomore Melvin Johnson chipped in 14 points off the bench for the Black & Gold.
How It Happened
- The first 10 minutes saw 11 lead changes and four ties with neither team leading by more than four points over that span.
- With the score tied at 20-20, Saint Joseph's went on a 14-4 run capped off by a 3-pointer from DeAndre Bembry.
- Johnson would connect on a floater in the lane with less than a minute to play in the half to send the Rams into the locker room down eight, 34-26.
- Graham drilled a 3-pointer from the top of the key and Reddic added a free-throw to give VCU the first four points of the second half and brought the Rams within four at 34-30.
- SJU would push the lead back to eight, but Johnson scored five straight points to make it a one-possession game, 38-35, with 14:12 remaining.
- Bembry would help the Hawks push the lead into double-digits, but Johnson and junior Briante Weber helped make it a five-point game for much of the next four minutes.
- Langston Galloway and Halil Kanacevic hit 3-pointers to push SJU's to 13, but Graham and Reddic went to work and chipped away at the lead.
- Five consecutive defensive stops for the Rams helped VCU get within three with three at 63-60 with just under three minutes to play.
- After Bembry connected on a layup, Reddic took a dish from JeQuan Lewis and laid it in for a three-point game.
- The Rams would get a stop and it looked like Graham would be headed to the line for an "and-one" opportunity to tie the game, but it was called an offensive foul and SJU was able to seal the game at the charity stripe.
- VCU returns home for a Wednesday night showdown with George Washington. Game time on NBC Sports Network is set for 7 p.m.