February 1, 2014
SIX RAMS IN DOUBLE FIGURES LEAD RAMS TO 81-70 VICTORY OVER RICHMOND
- Score: VCU 81, Richmond 70
- Records: VCU (18-4, 6-1 A10), Richmond (14-8, 4-3 A10))
- Location: Verizon Wireless Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center inside the HDL, Inc. Athletic Village
- The Short Story: Six Rams scored in double digits en route to an 81-70 victory over Richmond in the first edition of the Bank of Amerca Capital City Classic. Not only did junior Briante Weber have 14 points, he also set the school record for steals with five on the day and now sits at 260 for his career. Former Ram Rolando Lamb previously held the record for the past 29 years with 257 career steals. Senior Juvonte Reddic registered his third straight and 26th career double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds. Despite the 11 a.m. start, the Rams still posted their 46th consecutive sellout at the Verizon Wireless Arena.
How It Happened:
- VCU got off to a quick 7-0 lead after the first three minutes. Rob Brandenberg got on the board first with a triple from the left wing. He then proceeded to find Reddic in transition for a bucket at the rim. Weber capped off the run with a steal and score on the break.
- Five minutes into regulation, Weber picked up his third steal of the game, breaking the school record for career steals.
- The Spiders managed to pull within one, at 10-9, but VCU responded with a 14-2 run sparked by a Reddic three-point play and subsequent pair of blocks on the other end. Johnson added four points during the run.
- VCU led 34-22 at the half, with Johnson and Graham scoring in the final minute.
- The Rams opened the second half with four unanswered points. Reddic kicked off the scoring with a fall away layup, and then stole an inbounds pass that led to a Brandenberg dunk to give VCU a 38-24 lead with 18:14 to play.
- Richmond cut VCU's lead to six, at 40-34, but the Rams responded with an 11-3 run capped off by a three-point play from JeQuan Lewis, who ended with 11 points. Weber also added four points in the run.
- Leading 53-45, Graham and Brandenberg combined to score VCU's next 11 points, pushing the lead to 64-51.
- Richmond cut the lead to 8 with 4 minutes to play, but free throws by Graham and a three from Johnson pushed the lead back to 13 with 1:30 to play, at 78-65.
- Weber added three free throws in the final minute to ice the victory for the Rams.
How It Happened:
- Weber has now scored in double figures six of the last eight games. In his career, VCU is 18-1 when Weber scores in double-figures.
- Former Ram Rolando Lamb held the steals record for 29 years at 257. It took him 120 games. Meanwhile, it took Weber just 94 career games.
- Juvonte Reddic is just 17 rebounds away from becoming just the fourth player in VCU history to reach 800 rebounds. He also needs just seven points to reach 1,300 career points.
- With 16 straight home victories, the Rams now are tied for ninth in the country for active home winning streaks. Under Coach Smart, the Rams are 68-7 at the Siegel Center.
- The Rams have now won nine of the past 11 meetings with the Spiders.
- VCU continues with its three-game home stand with the final game set for Thursday night against Rhode Island. Game time is set for 7 p.m., and will be aired on CBS Sports Network.