GAMEDAY CENTRAL: VCU vs. Richmond - Bank of America Capital City Classic
Date: Saturday, February 1 - 11 a.m. EST
Location: Richmond, Va.
Online Broadcast: WatchESPN
Radio: WBBT 107.3 FM (Richmond area)
Mobile App for Audio Feed:
2013-14 Record: 17-4, 5-1 A10
Head Coach: Shaka Smart
2013-14 Record: 14-7, 4-2 A10
Head Coach: Chris Mooney
THE STORY LINES
• VCU returns to the Verizon Wireless Arena for the 69th edition of the Bank of America Capital City Classic when the Spiders of the University of Richmond make the 6.9 mile trek across town.
• The Spiders are the second-longest rivalry for the Black & Gold with only Old Dominion (89 times) having faced VCU more. The Rams have won eight of the past 10 meetings between the two schools, including seven straight inside the Verizon Wireless Arena.
• This is the second year that the two schools will be meeting as Atlantic 10 rivals and 17th time they've faced off as conference rivals (played in the CAA together from 1995-2001). VCU and Richmond have split the previous 16 conference match-ups, 8-8.
• Last year, the two teams split their meetings, the latest a 93-82 VCU win at the Siegel Center in the regular season finale. In the two match-ups last year, senior Juvonte Reddic and junior Treveon Graham each averaged 18.0 points, while combining to shoot 59.5-percent from the field (22-of-37). (full boxscore of latest meeting available on page 2 of VCU game notes)
• Reddic is the reigning Atlantic 10 Co-Player of the Week after averaging 22.5 points, 11.0 rebounds and shooting 58.6-percent from the field in VCU's two critical road wins last week at Dayton and at La Salle. Currently, Reddic is the only player in the A-10 averaging a double-double in league play (13.7 ppg, 10.5 rpg).
• For 29 years, Rolando Lamb's career record of 257 steals in 120 games has stood unchallenged. Now, junior Briante Weber is on the cusp of VCU history, entering tonight three steals away from becoming the school's all-time leader. Tonight will be Weber's 94th career game and he currently stands at 255 thefts.
• With an expected sellout, the Rams will extend their sellout streak to 46 consecutive games, dating back to Jan. 29, 2011 against UNC Wilmington. The streak is the fifth-longest active streak behind Duke, Kansas, Michigan State and Gonzaga.
• VCU enters tonight's matchup looking for its 16th straight win at home. The Black & Gold have not lost in the Siegel Center since Jan. 26 of last year to La Salle. The Rams are 10-0 at home this year and their current streak is the 11th longest in the country.
• Defense has been the calling card for the Rams this season as the Black & Gold rank ninth in the country in defensive efficiency according to KenPom.com, ranking as the nation's best in terms of turnover percentage (27.4) and steal percentage (16.5). HAVOC continues to fluster its opponents. VCU is leading the country in turnovers forced per game (19.8) and steals per game (12.0), categories in which they led the country in each of the past two years.
•Over the past three games, the Rams are averaging 25.7 free-throw attempts per game and are converting them at a 76.6-percent clip. Briante Weber (13-of-14, 92.9-percent) and Juvonte Reddic (15-of-21, 71.4-percent) have led the way.