January 14, 2014
BRANDENBERG, RAMS FALL AT GEORGE WASHINGTON, 76-66
- Score: George Washington 76, VCU 66
- Records: GW (14-3, 2-1 A10), VCU (13-4, 1-1 A10)
- Location: Charles E. Smith Center – Washington, D.C.
- The Short Story: Senior Rob Brandenberg scored 17 points and HAVOC forced 21 turnovers, but it wasn't enough as the VCU men's basketball dropped a tough road decision at George Washington, 76-66.
How It Happened
- The Rams came out firing with a Brandenberg 3-pointer and a layup by Treveon Graham to quickly grab a 5-0 lead less than two minutes into the contest.
- GW would answer on the back of Kevin Larsen, who scored six straight points to even the score at 6-6.
- Neither team would leave by more than three for the next 10 minutes as baskets were traded on both sides. That was until Melvin Johnson hit back-to-back treys and Brandenberg connected on another one from long distance to again stake VCU to a five-point lead, 25-20 with 7:35 remaining in the first half.
- Larsen again would answer with six straight points to give GW a one-point lead.
- Back and forth it went until GW finished the first half with eight straight points to take a 36-29 lead into the break. The first half featured four ties and 15 lead changes.
- After VCU scored the first four points of the second half, the Colonials answered and never let the lead slip under seven points for the first 10 minutes of the stanza.
- With GW leading 59-48 and under 10 minutes to play, VCU turned up the HAVOC, forcing four straight turnovers to spark a 7-0 run and get within four, 59-55 with 7:43 remaining.
- It would stay a two-possession game until under the five minute mark when Patricio Garino scored six straight points for GW and put the game out of reach for the Black & Gold.
- VCU returns home on Saturday for Homecoming. The Rams will host Duquesne at 4 p.m. on CBS Sports Network.