January 3, 2014
WEBER, GRAHAM SPARK VCU TO 81-63 VICTORY OVER STONY BROOK
- Score: VCU 81, Stony Brook 63
- Records: VCU (12-3), Stony Brook (9-5)
- Location: Verizon Wireless Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center inside the HDL, Inc. Athletic Village – Richmond, Va.
- The Short Story: HAVOC turned up the pressure and reeled off a 19-0 run, including the first 17 points of the second half to lead the VCU men's basketball team to its fourth straight win, a 81-63 victory over a pesky Stony Brook squad. Junior Treveon Graham led five Rams in double-figures with a game-high 20 points to go along with seven rebounds and three assists. Classmate Briante Weber filled up the stat sheet with 14 points, nine assists, seven steals and three rebounds. The Black & Gold have now won 12 straight at home.
How It Happened:
- The Rams and Seawolves traded baskets to open the first half, with neither team holding a lead of more than five points.
- Trailing by six, VCU gained some momentum when Rob Brandenberg and Weber hit jumpers to give the Rams an 18-17 lead. Juvonte Reddic followed that up with a ferocious block, which ignited the sold-out Siegel Center crowd.
- After his fifth steal of the half, Weber found Reddic with a no-look pass that led to a basket inside to give the Rams a 28-26 advantage with just under four minutes to play before the break.
- To close the half, Brandenberg sent back a Stony Brook shot attempt and Weber beat the buzzer with a pull-up jumper to give VCU a 36-35 lead at the half.
- Five straight points from Treveon Graham to start the second half ignited a 17-0 run that saw the Rams extend their lead to 53-35 with 14:45 to play. VCU held the Seawolves without a basket for the first 6:46 of the stanza.
- With 9:48 remaining in the second half, Graham and Johnson hit a pair of threes to continue to add to VCU's advantage.
- The Rams held their first 20-point lead of the game after Brandenberg scored inside while drawing a foul. He converted the free throw to give VCU a 68-46 lead.
- Stony Brook went on an 10-0 run to close the lead to 12 points with just over four minutes remaining in the game, but Graham sunk a three from the left wing to bring the Rams' lead to 15.
- Graham and Johnson continued to score from the perimeter, helping close out the 81-63 victory for the Rams.
- VCU starts Atlantic 10 play with a home game against George Mason on January 9th with "Check The Stu." Game time is set for 7 p.m. on CBS Sports Network.