December 21, 2013
JOHNSON, RAMS DOMINATE VIRGINIA TECH, 82-52
- Score: VCU 82, Virginia Tech 52
- Records: VCU (10-3), Virginia Tech (7-4)
- Location: Richmond Coliseum (Richmond, Va.)
- The Short Story: Sophomore Melvin Johnson's career-high eight 3-pointers sparked a first-half run that reached 31-0 to lead the VCU men's basketball team to a rout of in-state rival Virginia Tech, 82-52. Johnson finished with a career-high 27 points on 8-of-13 shooting. HAVOC forced the Hokies into 27 turnovers, which led to a school record 22 steals for the Black & Gold. Senior Juvonte Reddic finished with his fifth double-double of the year (10 points, 11 rebounds).
How It Happened
- Virginia Tech opened the game with three-pointers from Marshall Wood and Jarell Eddie to take a 6-0 advantage.
- A nice feed from JeQuan Lewis to Reddic for a dunk started an onslaught that reminder RamNation off the opening to VCU's CAA Tournament Semifinal against George Mason in 2012. Over the next 11:23, VCU ripped off a 37-2 run, sparked by six three-pointers from Johnson.
- Virginia Tech would gradually chip away at the Rams' 29-point lead and layup by Devin Wilson in the half's final 30 seconds sent the teams into the break with VCU leading 42-22.
- The two teams would trade baskets with the lead reaching as high as 25 and as low as 15 until the final seven minutes of the game.
- With VCU leading 66-47, the Black & Gold ripped off another run, this time 15-0, highlighted by three-pointers from Johnson, Jordan Burgess and Doug Brooks, to take a 81-47 lead with 2:12 to play.
- A three-pointer from Ben Emelogu with 16 seconds remaining capped off the scoring and gave VCU it's largest margin of victory over an ACC team in it's 44-year history, 82-52.
Beyond the Boxscore
- For just the second time in school history and first since 1987-88, the Rams took down Virginia and Virginia Tech in the same year. No current Ram was alive the last time that occurred.
- The 22 steals marked the fifth time in the past three years that VCU reached 20 or more steals. The 22 steals is also a new school record.
- VCU outscored Virginia Tech 42-5 in points off turnovers. The 42 points off turnovers is tied for the most in school history, equaling the output in last year's win over Fairleigh Dickinson.
- 51.2-percent of VCU's 82 points came off of turnovers.
- Rob Brandenberg became the 33rd member of VCU's 1,000 point club. He's the second active Ram in the cub, joining classmate Juvonte Reddic, who currently sits at 1,175 points.
- VCU has the week off before heading to the Barclays Center to take on another ACC foe, Boston College, in the Winter Hoops Festival next Saturday. Game time on Fox Sports 1 is set for 7:30 p.m.