- Score: #14 VCU 92, Winthrop 71
- Records: VCU (3-0), Winthrop (2-1)
- Location: Verizon Wireless Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center inside the HDL, Inc. Athletic Village
- The Short Story: Six Rams scored in double figures, led by Briante Weber with a career-high 16, to defeat Winthrop 92-71. The Rams forced 25 turnovers in the game, and had four players register at least three steals. Treveon Graham tallied a double double with 13 points and 10 rebounds, while Rob Brandenberg (11), Juvonte Reddic (11) and Mo Alie-Cox (10) also reached double-figures.
How It Happened:
- Rob Brandenberg scored six straight points in a span of 15 seconds just over two minutes in to give the Rams a 10-8 lead.
- Both VCU and Winthrop started hot from three, combining to go 7-8 from downtown over the first five minutes of the game.
- The Rams and Eagles continued to trade baskets, with Weber knocking down a long two from the right wing before the second media timeout to give the Rams a 23-20 lead.
- Juvonte Reddic finished a two-hand alley-oop from Weber with just over 11 minutes to play to extend the Rams lead to 25-20. A few possessions later he scored his second three of the game from the top of the key to stretch VCU's lead to six.
- A string of Rams free throws continued the scoring for the Rams, keeping the lead at six points, 40-34, with 3:35 to play.
- Eagles guard Andre Smith threw a bounce pass inside to forward James Bourne to end the first half, with the Rams leading 45-41.
- Terrance Shannon had a pair of baskets early in the second half, followed by a block at the rim to bring the score to 51-43.
- A series of free throws from Weber and Graham helped keep the lead at eight with under fifteen minutes to play.
- After a Winthrop basket, freshman Mo Alie-Cox nailed his first career three pointer from the top of the key, soon followed by a Brandenberg steal and lay-up to extend the Rams lead to double digits at 63-52.
- The Rams kept up the pressure, converting a pair of fouls and offensive rebounds into four points to keep the lead at 11 with nine minutes to play.
- Trading baskets and free throws for much of the second half, the Rams pushed the lead to 15 after back-to-back baskets by Melvin Johnson.
- With the lead at 81-66, Weber took an outlet pass from Reddic and converted a three-point play.
- The Rams ended the game on an 8-0 run after points by JeQuan Lewis, Alie-Cox and Doug Brooks.
- The Rams travel to San Juan, Puerto Rico to participate in the Puerto Rico Tip-Off. VCU's first game is against Florida State on Thursday, November 21 at 7:30 pm. The game will be televised on ESPNU.