Nov 08, 2013
- Score: #14 VCU 96, Illinois State 58
- Records: VCU (1-0), Illinois State (0-1)
- Location: Verizon Wireless Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center inside the HDL, Inc. Athletic Village
- The Short Story: The 14th-ranked VCU men's basketball team blistered the nets to the tune of 68.8 percent in the first half to roll out to a 52-22 halftime lead en route to a 96-58 throttling of Illinois State in the season opener for both teams. Five different players finished in double-figures led by 14 a piece from Terrance Shannon and Treveon Graham. Seniors Juvonte Reddic and Rob Brandenberg combined for 25 points, 10 rebounds and six assists on the night, while sophomore Melvin Johnson poured in 11 points on the night.
How It Happened
- The Rams pounded the ball inside early with Reddic and Shannon getting VCU out to a 9-4 lead.
- The inside play led to open shots from the outside which sparked a 26-4 run, capped off by three straight 3-pointers by Johnson to give the Black & Gold a 35-8 advantage.
- VCU would go back inside to close the half, scoring four of the final six buckets in the paint, including three by Shannon to send the Rams into the break with a 52-22 cushion.
- The Rams would start the second half much like the first with nine points in the first 1:20, capped off with a 3-pointer by Brandenberg to give VCU a 61-25 lead.
- Another VCU run (this time it was 11-2) with just under 10 minutes left pushed the Rams lead over 40 for the first time at 82-41.
- ISU's Daishon Knight scored the final six points of the contest to wrap up the 96-58 win for the Rams.
- The Rams hit the road on Tuesday for a highly-anticipated matchup with 24th-ranked UVA.Game time on ESPN2 is set for 7 p.m.