Hometown: Bronx, N.Y.
Previous School: St. Benedict's Prep (NJ)
|MELVIN JOHNSON - CAREER STATISTICS|
|Year||GP-GS||Min. ||FG-FGA ||Pct. ||3FG-ATT ||Pct. ||FT-FTA ||Pct. ||Off-Def-Tot ||Avg. ||PF-FO ||Ast. ||TO ||Blk. ||Stl. ||Pts.-Avg.|
· Shooting guard who possesses outstanding range from beyond the arc
· Scoring ability is a welcome addition to VCU’s HAVOC style of play
AS A FRESHMAN (2012/13):
· Appeared in 35 of the 36 games for the Rams, averaging 17.3 minutes per game.
· Averaged 6.9 points, 1.5 rebounds, and 1.0 assists per game.
· Scored in double digits 12 times, with his high coming against UMass (18).
· Had a career-high 9 rebounds against ETSU.
· Showed potential when shooting over 43% from 3 point range in Feb. and March, making 14 threes while playing more minutes per game.
PRIOR TO VCU:
· Consensus top-100 guard out of St. Benedict’s Prep in Newark, N.J. Rated four stars by every major recruiting service and ranked as high as the 76th-best player in the Class of 2012 by Scout.com. Scout also ranks Johnson as the 14th-best incoming shooting guard in the country.
· As a senior, he helped lead St. Benedict’s to a 35-3 record and a top-20 ranking by USA Today. During that year, he averaged 20.8 points and knocked down 82 three-point field goals.
· As As a member of the Long Island Lightning AAU squad in 2011, Johnson earned MVP of the Hoop Group Elite Camp Session I.
· Began his prep career at famed Rice High School in Harlem, but moved to St. Benedict’s when the school closed.
· Originally a University of Miami signee, Johnson picked VCU over a host of suitors following the reopening of his recruitment. Marquette, Georgetown, Villanova and Dayton were among those interested in Johnson.
COACH SMART ON MELVIN:
“Melvin’s a great kid who can put the ball in the basket at a high rate. His future is bright at VCU!”