January 26, 2013
RAMS DROP TOUGH 69-61 DECISION TO LA SALLE
- Score: La Salle 69, #19/#16 VCU 61
- Records: VCU (16-5, 4-2 A10), La Salle (14-5, 4-2 A10)
- Location: Verizon Wireless Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center - Richmond, Va.
- The Short Story: Junior Juvonte Reddic posted his second straight 20 point/10 rebound performance, but the 19th-ranked Rams dropped their second straight in a tough 69-61 decision to La Salle in front of the 30th-consecutive sellout at the Verizon Wireless Arena. Reddic finished with 22 points on 9-of-13 from the field, in addition to 10 rebounds and three steals on the night. Sophomore Treveon Graham also posted his second consecutive double-double with 13 points and 12 rebounds.
How It Happened
- The game of runs started right away with La Salle scoring the game's first six points, but a three-pointer from Troy Daniels capped off an 11-2 VCU response to give the Rams an 11-8 cushion with 15:08 to play in the first half.
- La Salle responded with nine straight points of their own to take a 17-11 lead, but once again the Black & Gold had their own counterpunch with a 12-2 run, sparked by eight straight points by Reddic.
- However, it was Ramon Galloway and the Explorers who closed the half on a 15-2 run to take a 34-25 lead into the break.
- Coach Smart and his staff couldn't have drawn up a better start to the second half as the Rams held La Salle without a point for the first 5:45 and put together a 17-0 run that gave VCU its biggest lead of the game at 42-34.
- Galloway wouldn't let the Explorers go quietly and helped ignite a 19-5 run that reestablished La Salle's lead at 53-47 with 8:01 to play.
- Treveon Graham went on the attack for the Rams, scoring six points in a two minute span to bring VCU within one at 56-55 with 2:49 remaining. Unfortunately, that was the closest it would come.
- La Salle went a perfect 8-for-8 from the charity stripe in the final minute to secure its second win over a top-25 opponent in a week with the Explorers taking down Butler earlier this week.
Beyond the Box Score
- Reddic now has six double-doubles on the year, the exact amount he had all of last season. His 12 double-doubles rank 13th on VCU's career chart.
- Reddic is now averaging 10.2 rebounds per game in five Atlantic 10 contests.
- Graham has now scored in double-figures in 14 straight games and leads the squad with 16.0 ppg.
- Senior Troy Daniels hit three treys on the night and has now hit a three-pointer in 31 straight games.
- VCU goes back on the road next week when it heads to Rhode Island in the first of two battles with other Rams (Fordham is also the Rams). Game time in Kingston is set for 7 p.m. and can be seen on CBS 6.3 in Richmond and Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic.