January 17, 2013
THEUS, GRAHAM LEAD RAMS TO THRILLING 92-86 OVERTIME VICTORY OVER SAINT JOE'S
- Score: #22 VCU 92, Saint Joseph's 86 (ot)
- Records: VCU (15-3, 3-0 A10), Saint Joseph's (9-6, 1-2 A10)
- Location: Verizon Wireless Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center - Richmond, Va.
- The Short Story: Senior Darius Theus and sophomore Treveon Graham combined for 47 points, 10 rebounds and 11 assists to help lead VCU to its 12th straight victory with a thrilling 92-86 overtime victory over Preseason Atlantic 10 favorite Saint Joseph's. Junior Juvonte Reddic pulled down a career-high 17 rebounds to go with 15 points for his 10th career double-double.
How It Happened
- The two teams traded buckets to start the game, but a three-pointer by Theus with 16:16 showing on the first half clock ignited an 11-2 run by VCU that was capped off with a fastbreak layup from Graham to push the Rams' lead to 15-7 with 14:13 left in the half.
- VCU would pound the paint with Theus driving the lane and big men Reddic and DJ Haley getting buckets and extending the lead to 12, 26-14, with 9:14 left before the break.
- However, Langston Galloway and Carl Jones combined for 15 first-half points to bring Saint Joe's within two in the final four minutes, but four points from Theus in the final 1:30 sent VCU into halftime with a 38-32 advantage.
- The Rams wouldn't let the Hawks any closer than six for the first seven minutes of the second half, but then Jones and Galloway got cooking, getting Saint Joe's within one twice in over the next three minutes before finally tying it, 61-61, with a three-pointer from Galloway with 8:19 left in regulation.
- Over the final 10 minutes of regulation, the game would have four ties and three lead changes before Carl Jones hit a three-pointer with 1:28 left to give SJU a 76-74 cushion, which would be pushed to four after C.J. Aiken hit a pair of free-throws with 28 seconds remaining.
- After the Rams forced a turnover with 14 seconds left, Troy Daniels hit a huge three-pointer to bring VCU within one at 79-78. Ronald Roberts followed by going 1-of-2 from the line for SJU and set the stage for Theus, who drove the length of the court for a layup to tie the game at 80-80 and ultimately send the game to overtime.
- VCU kicked it into high gear in the extra period starting with a dunk from Reddic, followed by a four-point play by Graham to put the Rams up 86-80. Saint Joe's wouldn't get within six the rest of the way as the Black & Gold sealed its 12th straight victory.
Beyond the Boxscore
- It was the first overtime game of the 2012-13 season for the Rams and first since Jan. 19, 2012 when VCU picked up a 69-68 overtime victory over William & Mary.
- The 12-game win streak is the longest during the Shaka Smart tenure and tied for the third-longest in program history. The longest streak in VCU history is 16 by the 1980-81 squad.
- In the past 365 days, VCU is 31-5 with the five losses coming by a combined 17 points.
- Graham has now scored in double-figures in 11 straight games and leads the team with 16 ppg. In three A10 games, Graham is averaging 22 ppg and 6.3 rpg, while shooting 59 percent from the field.
- The 22 points was a career-high for Theus and his 10 assists tied a career-high for the Portsmouth, Va. native. It was the first double-double of his VCU career.
- Theus was crucial for the Rams in the victory. So crucial that VCU scored 90 of its 92 points in his 37 minutes of action.
- VCU has a quick turnaround as it hits the road for a Saturday evening showdown with the Dukes of Duquesne. Game time in Pittsburgh is set for 7 p.m.