Jan 09, 2013
- Score: VCU 74, Dayton 62
- Record: VCU (13-3, 1-0 A-10), Dayton (10-5, 0-1 A-10)
- Location: Verizon Wireless Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center - Richmond, Va.
- The Short Story: VCU opened its inaugural Atlantic 10 Conference slate in front of a raucous Siegel Center crowd and sent them home happy with a 74-62 win over Dayton, the 10th straight victory for the Rams. Treveon Graham scored in double-figures for the ninth straight game, leading all scorers with 24 points on 7-of-12 shooting. The Black & Gold harassed Dayton into 26 turnovers en route to 15 more steals, nine of which came in the hands of sophomore Briante Weber.
How It Happened
- It was evident from the start that Atlantic 10 play would be an intense battle for 40 minutes every night. VCU would take the lead from the start, but it would never get higher than five for the entire first half.
- Graham would lead all scorers with 15 first-half points to lead the Rams' powerful offensive attack that shot 48.1 percent from the field in the first stanza and held a 36-32 cushion at the break.
- After the break, Dayton would cut it the lead to two twice before senior Troy Daniels drilled back-to-back three-pointers to spark a 7-0 run and help VCU grab a 47-38 advantage with 17:31 to play.
- Outside shooting would keep the Flyers in it with Dyshawn Pierre and Kevin Dillard both hitting treys to bring Dayton within one with just under 15 minutes remaining in regulation.
- That's when Graham would draw a foul, hit two free-throws and ignite a 17-4 run that was capped off by a nice putback from junior Juvonte Reddic, which handed the Rams a 66-52 lead with 5:40 left on the clock.
- VCU's lead would never slip under double-digits the rest of the way as Briante Weber led a defensive charge that forced the Flyers into 14 second-half turnovers and just 37.5 percent from the field.
Beyond the Box Score
- VCU has now posted double-digit win streaks in each of the past two seasons (11 in 2011-12 and the current streak of 10)
- Graham has now scored in double-figures in nine consecutive games and 14 games overall, including three 20-plus point performances. He leads the squad with 15.4 points per game.
- The Rams held the first-ever "Stripe the Stu" event, which brought in the 28th consecutive sellout at the arena.
- VCU posted its seventh wire-to-wire victory of the season
- The Rams have now forced 22 or more turnovers and 14 or more steals in each of the past six games.
- Briante Weber's 59 steals this year already ranks 10th on the VCU's single-season steals list. With 15 regular season games left, he is 29 away from Rolando Lamb's single-season record of 88.
- VCU hits the road for its first A-10 road game when it travels to defending league champion, St. Bonaventure for a Saturday afternoon tilt. Game time is set for 4 p.m. with CBS 6.3 televising the game locally.