DANIELS, GRAHAM LEAD RAMS PAST OLD DOMINION, 83-70
Score: VCU 83, Old Dominion 70
Record: VCU (6-3), Old Dominion (1-8)
Location: Ted Constant Convocation Center - Norfolk, Va.
The Short Story: The sharp-shooting of Troy Daniels and the relentlessness of Treveon Graham led the Rams to a decisive 83-70 road victory over long-time rival, Old Dominion on Friday night. The duo combined for 47 points and 10 rebounds to spark VCU's third straight victory in the heated rivalry with the Monarchs. Daniels tied a school record with eight three-pointers in the contest.
OLD DOMINION STARTERS: #4 Dimitri Batten, #11 DeShawn Painter, #15 Deion Clark, #25 Donte Hill, #40 Anton Larsen
How It Happened
- After the two teams traded buckets for the first two minutes of the game, a three-pointer by Graham ignited a 15-2 run that saw Daniels hit two treys during the stretch and help VCU grab a 20-10 lead with 12:05 showing on the first half clock.
- Daniels three-point shooting would spark another run late in the first half with two more treys for the Roanoke, Va. native and then corner three from Teddy Okereafor capped off the 12-1 run that stretched the Black & Gold's lead to 20, 41-21, with 2:50 left in the first half.
- DeShawn Painter and Donte Hill helped ODU put together a late run just before the half as the teams headed to the break with VCU holding a 43-30 cushion.
- The Rams' lead would twice reach 20 early in the second half, but the Monarchs wouldn't go away, jumping on the back of Painter, as the NC State transfer scored 12 points in the second half and brought ODU within 12 at 65-53 with 8:11 to play.
- Enter Rob Brandenberg. The Cincinnati, Ohio native drove the lane for a layup and was the beneficiary of a hustle play by Briante Weber that resulted in a wide-open transition three for Brandenberg and the Rams were quickly back up 17, 70-53 with 6:18 remaining.
- VCU's lead never dropped below double-digits thanks to 13 second-half points by Graham and a 13-of-15 performance at the charity stripe for the Rams in the second half.
Beyond the Box Score
- Daniels' eight three-pointers tied a near 14-year old school record held by Bo Jones, who hit eight treys in a road loss to George Mason on Jan. 20, 1999.
- His eight three's also moved him from 11th on the all-time list to eighth with 155 career three-pointers.
- Daniels' 28 three-pointers this year are the eighth-most in all of college basketball. Belmont's Ian Clark leads the nation with 35 on the season.
- The win marked the first time that two VCU players scored 20 points or more (Daniels - 24, Graham - 23) since Dec. 30, 2010 when Bradford Burgess (24) and Brandon Rozzell (23) accomplished the feat in a home win over New Hampshire.
COMING UP NEXT:
- This week, the Rams will focus on final exams and a Saturday afternoon showdown with former VCU Head Coach Anthony Grant and his Alabama Crimson Tide. Tip time at the Verizon Wireless Arena is set for 4 p.m. on CBS Sports Network.