Score: VCU 94, Virginia Union 44 (Exhibition)
Location: Verizon Wireless Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center – Richmond, Va.
The Short Story: After nearly eight months of waiting, Havoc returned to the Siegel Center in dominating fashion with the Rams taking home a 94-44 exhibition victory over intracity rival, Virginia Union. Senior Troy Daniels led all scorers with 19 points, including 5-of-8 from long distance. Sophomore Briante Weber chipped in 12 points, eight steals and four rebounds for the Black & Gold.
VIRGINIA UNION STARTERS: #2 Juan Wilson, #3 Wesley Simmons, #13 Omar Gainey, #31 Damion Harris, #35 Cordero Holt
How It Happened:
- Back-to-back buckets by seniors Darius Theus and Troy Daniels got the Rams off to a 5-0 start that they never looked back from.
- With the score 18-8, VCU blitzed the Panthers for a 26-0 run, holding them scoreless for 9:15, while connecting on 10-of-15 on the offensive side.
- Daniels led all scorers in the first stanza with 16 points on 5-of-8 shooting and 4-of-6 from beyond the arc.
- The second half would see much of the same with VCU extending their lead to as many as 62.
- All 12 players would score for the Rams, who finished 33-of-67 from the field (49.3%)
- Daniels led four Rams in double-figures with 19. Weber (12), Reddic (10) and Guest (10) were the other three players who reached double-digits.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Weber's eight steals would have been a school record if it came in a regular season game.
- No player played more than 20 minutes for the Rams, while 11 of the 12 played more than 14 minutes.
- Although it doesn't count for the active sellout streak, the Siegel Center was once again packed with a crowd of 7,693.
Head Coach Shaka Smart
- "Great to be back here at the Siegel Center, great to be back in front of our fans. When you're away from something for a while, you can really miss it and when you play a home game, it's such a pleasant reminder of how special an atmosphere we have here at the Siegel Center."
- "I'd say it was a pretty good night for us, which is about the best you can expect at this time of year. There's certainly a lot we have to work on, particularly on the defense end, but that's why we have practice."
Senior Darius Theus
- "That was Havoc basketball, that's how we want to play. I thought we played with great intensity at times tonight and that's what we have to bring for 40 minutes every game this year."
Senior Troy Daniels
- "Whether we win by 50, 100, whatever. We have to continue to work and continue to go to practice with the intent of getting better. That's what it's all about, getting better every time we step on the court."
- The Rams open up the regular season next Friday when they host the Eagles of Florida Gulf Coast. Tip time at the Verizon Wireless Arena is set for 7:30 p.m. The contest can be seen locally on CBS 6.3 or for free via VCUathletics.com.