Tournament: Cape Fear National Intercollegiate
Location: Cape Fear National (Leland, N.C.)
VCU finish: DNF
Top Ram: Sachin Kumar – 1st (-3)
The short story: Freshman Sachin Kumar fired a final-round 69 and captured his first collegiate individual victory to lead shorthanded VCU at the Cape Fear National Intercollegiate Tuesday.
- Kumar, a native of Trinidad & Tobago, recorded two birdies and an eagle in his final round Tuesday to edge Tripp Summerlin of Appalachian State by a stroke.
- Summerlin was undone by a triple bogey on No. 17, while Kumar registered par on each of his final five holes.
- Two VCU golfers, senior Alister Balcombe and freshman Kristian Tannum Donaldson, were forced to withdraw from the tournament due to injuries. VCU placed last in the team standings by default.
- Sophomore Alston Newsom, playing as an individual, shot an even-par 72 and placed 21st overall in the field for the Rams. It's Newsom's best collegiate finish.
- Seniors Osama Khan and Daniel Stamper also placed 46th and 50th, respectively for VCU.
T21-Alston Newsom 75-78-72=225
"Sachin is most known for his accuracy. But it was his length, from hard work in the gym and a new driver that allowed him to hit within 12 feet in two shots on the par 5 eighth hole, of which he is probably most proud. That was important, but he has been losing shots to 3-putts missed up-and-downs. These greens were huge and we pointed out the need for good speed control. Sachin had zero 3-putts for the tournament and several clutch up-and-downs. I'm sorry for the team that injuries set us back, but the injured were great about supporting those still playing, and I believe this individual win will be great for this tight-knit group as a whole." – VCU Coach Matt Ball.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Kumar led the field with 43 pars in 54 holes.
- Kumar was one also of five players in the field to record an eagle this week.
- As a team, VCU ranked second in the field in par 4 scoring (4.20).
- Kumar's individual win was the first by a Ram since Adam Ball captured the 2015 Atlantic 10 Conference title, one of his five career wins.
- Prior to Tuesday's victory, Kumar's previous best finish this season was 43rd at VCU's Janney Invitational.
VCU will return to play on March 25-26 for the Seahawk Intercollegiate at the Country Club of Landfall.