Tournament: Tar Heel Intercollegiate
Location: UNC Finley G.C. (Chapel Hill, N.C.)
Course Info: Par 72, 7,242 Yards
VCU finish: 11th of 12
Top Ram: Kristian Tannum Donaldson (-6) T12th
The short story: Freshman Kristian Tannum Donaldson charged out of the gate with a pair of blistering rounds and tied for 12th overall to lead VCU at the Tar Heel Intercollegiate.
- Playing in just his second collegiate tournament, Tannum Donaldson fired back-to-back 69s on Saturday. He finished the event with an even-par 72 Sunday.
- Tannum Donaldson recovered nicely from a triple bogey on his first hole of the day. He shot 3-under the rest of the way.
- Senior Alister Balcombe (68-74-71) finished three strokes behind Tannum Donaldson in 23rd place for VCU. Balcombe has placed within the top 25 of all three VCU tournaments this fall.
- The Rams combined to shoot 3-over for the 54-hole event to place 11th. Host and 32nd-ranked North Carolina (-49) ran away from Jacksonville (-26) for the team championship.
- Osama Khan, Daniel Stamper and Sachin Kumar rounded out VCU's top five in 59th, 61st and 65th place, respectively.
INSIDE THE SCORECARD
- VCU tied for the tournament lead with three eagles, one each by Tannum Donaldson, Balcombe and Khan.
- Tannum Donaldson tied for the tournament lead in par 5 scoring (4.25). He was 9-under in those opportunities this weekend. He led the Rams with 13 birdies.
T12-Kristian Tannum Donaldson 69-69-72=210
T23-Alister Balcombe 68-74-71=213
T59-Osama Khan 74-73-76=223
T61-Daniel Stamper 73-74-77=224
T65-Sachin Kumar 76-75-74=225
VCU will head to the ETSU Intercollegiate Oct. 13-15 in Johnson City, Tenn.