BALL FINISHES WITH FLURRY, LEADS RAMS TO THIRD
Tournament: Mission Inn Spring Spectacular
Location: Howey-in-the-Hills, Fla. (Mission Inn Resort)
Course info: 6,884 yards, par 72
- Sophomore Adam Ball closed with a flourish Sunday. The Richmond native fired a 5-under 67 – the lowest round on the course all day - in the final round to claim second at the Mission Inn Spring Spectacular.
- Ball finished the 54-hole tournament 3-under (70-76-67=213) and was just two strokes off the pace of tournament individual champion Trevor Cone of Virginia Tech.
- Behind Ball, VCU place third among the 17-team field. The Rams totaled 897 strokes over two days compared to team champion Virginia Tech's 875 and runner-up Texas Tech's 880. Bethune-Cookman was fourth with 915 strokes, followed by Old Dominion's 916.
- Senior Matt Ball Jr. (+9) was 10th overall for VCU, while sophomore Steffen Harm (+13) was 20th.
- Sunday's runner-up finish marks Ball's seventh top-10 finish as a Ram. Ball captured his first collegiate victory with a one-stroke victory at the Wexford Plantation Collegiate earlier this spring.
- Ball was second among the field in par 3 scoring (-3) over the weekend, and registered the second-most birdies (10) in the tournament. Ball also parred 38 holes over the course of the weekend.
- As a team, VCU was second in the field in par 3 (+11) and par 5 scoring (+2) and third on par 4's (+39).
The Rams will return to action on April 5-6 when they head to the Irish Creek Intercollegiate at The Club at Irish Creek in Kannapolis, N.C.
T 2-Adam Ball 70-76-67=213
T 10-Matt Ball Jr. 71-73-81=225
T 20-Steffen Harm 77-75-77=229
T 23-Hanish Nagrani 75-75-81=231
T 32-Rocky Khara 78-75-81=234