Score: VCU 2, UMass 0
Location: Richmond, Va. (Cary Street Field)
Records: VCU (7-5, 4-0 A-10), Massachusetts (6-8, 4-2 A-10)
Short Story: VCU's defense only allowed one shot on goal and two second half goals from Emily McNamara to give VCU its first A-10 win over UMass.
- McNamara scored two goals and had a game-high eight shots with four shots on target.
- Maite Sturm recorded one assist.
- Shannon Pereira had two shots with one shot on goal.
- Litiana Field also recorded two shots.
- VCU held a 13-4 edge in total shots and a 5-1 edge in shots on goal.
- Sasha Elliot only made one save and earned her second shutout of the season.
- The Rams also held a 5-1 advantage in penalty corners.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- It took 8:20 for the first shot of the game as Pereira's attempt from near the top of the arc was saved.
- The next shot on goal came as McNamara's effort on a penalty corner was stopped to end the first half.
- The two teams went into halftime tied 0-0 and VCU holding a 4-2 edge in total shots.
- McNamara scored the game-winning goal in the 56th minute as she received the insert from Sturm on a penalty corner and fired a shot into the back of the cage.
- McNamara sealed the game in the 67th minute as UMass pulled its goalie and she stole the ball from a defender and scored on an empty net.
VCU travels to No. 14 Saint Joseph's at 3 p.m. on Oct. 12.