Score: VCU 7, Richmond 2
Location: Richmond, Va. (Cary Street Field)
Records: VCU (4-3, 2-0 A-10), Richmond (3-6, 1-1 A-10)
Short Story: After Richmond tied the game 2-2 midway through the first half, the Rams scored five unanswered goals to pull away from the Spiders and extend their winning streak to three games.
- Emily McNamara posted her third straight hat trick, scoring three goals and added one assist.
- Maite Sturm scored two goals on four shot attempts.
- Emily van Hijfte scored one goal and assist on four shot attempts.
- Litiana Field recorded three assists.
- Shannon Pereira also scored on goal.
- The Rams outshot the Spiders 31-10 and 15-6 in shots on goal.
- Sasha Elliot made four saves in the cage.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Shannon Pereira scored the opening goal just 1:47 into the game on an assist from Field.
- McNamara doubled VCU's lead to 2-0 less than four minutes later off a penalty corner.
- The Spiders got back-to-back goals from Elise Zwicklbauer and Hannah Loos to tie the game 2-2 in the 18th minute.
- Maite Sturm scored the go-ahead goal in the 24th minute off a pass from Field following a penalty corner insert.
- McNamara scored her second of the day in the 30th minute across the face of the goal and VCU held a 4-2 halftime lead.
- The Rams continued to extend their lead in the second half as Sturm scored her second goal of the day unassisted in the 42nd minute.
- Van Hijfte scored off an assist from McNamara to make it 6-2 in the 52nd minute.
- McNamara scored the final goal of the game in the 66th minute to make it 7-2 after van Hijfte's pass led her behind the Spider defense.
VCU travels to face rival No. 11 Old Dominion at 1 p.m. on Sept. 23 in Norfolk.