Score: American 3, VCU 2 (2 OT)
Location: Richmond, Va. (Cary Street Field)
Records: VCU (1-2), American (3-1)
Short Story: VCU held a 2-0 lead with five minutes left but two late American goals forced the overtime periods. The Eagles won the game on a penalty shot in the 87th minute.
- Litiana Field scored her first collegiate goal and recorded two shot attempts, both on cage.
- McNamara scored one goal and had a team-high seven shots with four on target.
- VCU outshot American 13-8 overall and 8-5 in shots on goal.
- The Rams also held a 7-3 edge in penalty corners.
- Sasha Elliot made three saves in the cage for the Rams.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU got on the board first in the 17th minute as a Field got behind the Eagles' defense, controlled a bouncing ball and beat the keeper to her left.
- American threatened to score in the 32nd minute after a hard ball was played into the circle but Kathryn Roncoroni's deflection bounced off the crossbar.
- The Rams held a 1-0 lead at halftime with VCU holding a 3-0 edge in shots on goal.
- McNamara doubled the VCU lead in the 66th minute after she got in alone behind the defense and scored at the near post.
- American answered back just over a minute later as Annaka Groschinski scored off a penalty corner to cut VCU's lead to 2-1.
- The Eagles tied the game in the 69th minute as Carlotta Borcherding scored to make it 2-2.
- McNamara had two attempts in the first overtime period with one shot going high and the other going just wide right.
- American won the game on a penalty shot by Rafaela Rubas in the 87th minute.
VCU travels to face William and Mary at 1 p.m. on Sept. 9.