Score: VCU 1, Longwood 0
Location: Richmond, Va. (Cary Street Field)
Records: VCU (14-5), Longwood (11-5)
Short Story: After a competitive and back-and-forth match, VCU's Lauren Kaup scored the game-winning goal in the 69th minute as the Rams avenged an early season loss to the Lancers. The victory pushed VCU to 14 wins on the season and the most for the program since a 16-win season in 1992.
- Kaup scored the goal on her only shot attempt of the game.
- Spencer Tossone recorded an assist.
- Chessa Kownurko posted her sixth shutout of the season and made three saves.
- Svea Sturm and Emily McNamara each had two shot attempts.
- Rebecca Ward and Jamee Albright recorded one shot each.
- Longwood outshot VCU 10-7 overall and had a slight 4-3 edge in shots on goal.
- VCU had a 5-3 advantage in penalty corners.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU had the first shot attempt of the day as McNamara's effort on a penalty corner in the 5th minute forced a save.
- Longwood didn't record a shot attempt until the 24th minute as Kownurko saved an effort from Leonie Verstraete.
- The two teams were tied 0-0 at halftime.
- Longwood almost went ahead in the 43rd minute but Maite Sturm made a defensive save at the back post to preserve the shutout.
- The Rams broke the deadlock after back-to-back penalty corners when Tossone deflected the ball into the path of Kaup who scored at the back post in the 69th minute and held on for the 1-0 victory.
VCU finished Atlantic 10 play in a tie for second place and will be the No. 3 seed at the Atlantic 10 Field Hockey Championships. The Rams will face No. 2-seeded Massachusetts on Nov. 3 at 2 p.m. at UMass.