Score: No. 5 UNC 4, VCU 1
Location: Richmond, Va. (Cary Street Field)
Records: VCU (10-5), North Carolina (12-3)
Short Story: The No. 5 Tar Heels built a 2-0 lead at halftime and despite effort, the Rams were unable to cut the deficit further after scoring to make it 4-1 in the 54th minute.
- Spencer Tossone scored for VCU on her only shot attempt of the game.
- Emily McNamara recorded the assist on Tossone's goal, her sixth assist of the season. She also recorded a team-high three shots with two shots on goal.
- Chessa Kownurko made four saves in the cage for VCU.
- UNC outshot the Rams 14-4 overall and 9-3 in shots on goal.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The two teams were scoreless for the first 18 minutes of the contest until UNC took a 1-0 lead on a penalty corner goal from Marissa Creatore.
- The Tar Heels double their lead to 2-0 on another penalty corner just two minutes later as Malin Evert hit a low shot just inside the post.
- The Tar Heels went up 3-0 on an Eva van't Hoog goal on a penalty corner in the 47th minute.
- UNC made it 4-0 in the 53rd minute as Kathryn Holland scored at the back post off a cross.
- VCU got a goal back just over a minute later as Spencer Tossone was able to redirect a ball from McNamara on a penalty corner to make it 4-1.
VCU will host Saint Francis (Pa.) at 3 p.m. on Oct. 20 at Cary Street Field for an Atlantic 10 matchup.