Score: Massachusetts 4, VCU 2
Location: Amherst, Mass. (Gladchuk Field Hockey Complex)
Records: VCU (8-4, 2-2 A-10), Massachusetts (9-4, 4-1 A-10)
Short Story: After taking an early 1-0 lead on a goal by Lauren Kaup, the Rams and Minutewomen were tied 2-2 at halftime. UMass was able to take a 3-2 lead less than four minutes into the second half and double their lead with less than four minutes remaining to make it the final 4-2 margin.
- Natalie Bohmke scored a goal for the Rams on her only shot attempt.
- Lauren Kaup also scored for VCU and had two shot attempts.
- Maite Sturm had a team-high three shot attempts including two shots on goal.
- Chessa Kownurko made six saves in goal.
- UMass outshot VCU 18-10 overall and 10-6 in shots on goal.
- UMass also had a 3-2 advantage in penalty corners.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU opened the scoring in the 14th minute as she lofted a shot over the goalkeeper to give the Rams a 1-0 lead.
- UMass tied the game 1-1 in the 30th minute as Lucy Cooper scored off a pass from the wing.
- The Rams retook the lead at 2-1 less than a minute later as Bohmke scored unassisted.
- The Minutewomen scored again before halftime to make it 2-2 in the 32nd minute and the teams remained tied at halftime.
- UMass took a 3-2 lead off a penalty corner goal from Georgie McTear in the 39th minute.
- The Minutewomen capped off the scoring and took a 4-2 lead in the 67th minute on a cross as Nicole Kuerzi scored.
VCU will play at Towson at 1 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 8.