Score: Appalachian State 2, VCU 1 (Overtime)
Location: Richmond, Va. (Cary Street Field)
Records: VCU (8-3, 2-1 A-10), Appalachian State (4-8, 1-3 MAC)
Short Story: After trailing 1-0 at halftime, VCU's Emily McNamara tied the game 1-1 in the 43rd minute and the teams remained deadlocked at the end of regulation. Appalachian State scored the game-winner 11 minutes into the first overtime period.
- The two teams were tied 13-13 in total shots with the Mountaineers holding a 10-6 advantage in shots on goal.
- Emily McNamara scored a goal and recorded a team-high eight shots.
- Spencer Tossone recorded an assist.
- Svea Sturm tied McNamara for the team-high with two shots on goal.
- Chessa Kownurko made eight saves in goal.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU had the first opportunity of the game as Lauren Kaup's shot was saved in the 3rd minute by Rachel Gaines.
- The Rams again had a good look at goal as Maite Sturm's shot hit the post and went out of bounds in the 4th minute.
- The Mountaineers' Ali Williams recorded her team's first shot of the game in the 19th minute as Kownurko was able to make the save.
- Appalachian State scored in the 21st minute as Williams fed the ball across the arc to Taylor Cimbalist who scored at the back post.
- VCU trailed 1-0 at halftime.
- The Rams garnered the first opportunity of the second half and capitalized off a penalty corner as Tossone's insert found McNamara who controlled the ball and fired a shot past Gaines to make it 1-1 in the 43rd minute.
- The Mountaineers had three shots back-to-back-to-back that were all saved by Kownurko in the 49th minute.
- VCU's best chance to win the game came in the 59th minute as Svea Sturm's shot beat the goalkeeper and forced a defensive save from Annette Jarosz. Her follow-up attempt was then saved by the keeper.
- The teams finished regulation tied 1-1.
- Appalachian State's Smart scored the game-winning goal in the 81st minute of play as she gained a breakaway. Her first attempt was saved by Kownurko but she was able to chip her second shot over and into the net for the game-winner.
VCU travels to Massachusetts for an A-10 match at 1 p.m. on Oct. 6.