Score: Longwood 1, VCU 0
Location: Farmville, Va. (Longwood Athletics Complex)
Records: VCU 2-1, Longwood 3-0
Short Story: VCU controlled the first half but a Longwood goal less than five minutes into the second half was enough to push the Lancers past the Rams, 1-0.
- VCU outshot Longwood 12-7 for the contest including a 9-1 edge in the first half alone.
- The Rams held a 6-4 edge in shots on goal.
- Emily McNamara had a game-high eight shots overall and a game-high four shots on goal.
- Jamee Albright recorded two shots while Spencer Tossone and Rebecca Ward each had one shot.
- Chessa Kownurko made three saves in the cage for the Rams.
- Leonie Verstraete led Longwood with a team-high four shots and scored the game-winning goal in the 40th minute.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Neither team recorded a shot until McNamara placed one wide at the 9:54 mark in the first half.
- Albright had the first shot on goal by either team in the 20th minute off a penalty corner after her first shot was blocked by a defender.
- The Rams had a chance on a penalty corner in the 23rd minute by McNamara's shot was saved by Longwood's Katie Wyman.
- The Rams had five penalty corners over a four-minute span midway through the first half but were unable to score.
- The teams were tied 0-0 at halftime despite the Rams having outshot the Lancers 9-1.
- Longwood scored the game-winning goal in the 40th minute.
- The Rams had a chance to answer less than two minutes later but Ward's shot was saved by Wyman.
- VCU had its final chance in the 67th minute on a penalty corner but McNamara's shot was again saved by Wyman to preserve Longwood's victory.
VCU will head to Ohio to face the Bobcats on Sept. 9 at noon.