Final Score: Richmond 2, VCU 1
Location: Cary Street Field (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 5-10 (1-6), Richmond (7-8, 5-2)
The Short Story: The Rams outshot Richmond 12-7 and opened up a 1-0 lead in the second half but the Spiders tied the game in the 49th minute at 1-1 and scored the game-winner on a penalty corner in the 53rd minute.
- Emily McNamara scored the goal for the Rams on an assist from Rebecca Ward.
- McNamara had a team-high eight shots with three shots on goal.
- McKenzie Bowler, Lauren Kaup, Spencer Tossone and Ward each had one shot.
- VCU held a 6-5 edge in penalty corners.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In a 0-0 game, the Rams had their first opportunity in the 12th minute on a penalty corner as Emily McNamara's shot went wide left.
- The Rams again had a chance in the 20th minute but McNamara's shot off a penalty corner was blocked.
- The two teams went into halftime with the score tied at 0-0.
- VCU had the first chance of the second half in the 45th minute and capitalized as McNamara was able to deflect in a ball from Ward at the back post to make it 1-0.
- Richmond answered three minutes later as the Spiders' Kasey Gilbride was able to deflect the ball into the goal to tie the game 1-1.
- The Spiders scored in the 53rd minute to take a 2-1 lead while VCU was serving a yellow card. Gilbride scored her second of the game off a penalty corner.
- The Rams had one last strong effort in the 67th and 68th minute as they McNamara and Ward forced saves off back-to-back shots.
- On the ensuing penalty corner, McNamara's shot was saved by Amanda Hoyt and Kaup's shot off the rebound was also saved.
VCU plays host to William and Mary on Sunday Oct. 23 at 1 p.m.