Final Score: VCU 3, Towson 2
Location: Cary Street Field (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 5-8, Towson 2-12
The Short Story: Two penalty corner goals early in the second half allowed the Rams to go up 3-1 over Towson and they ultimately held off the Tigers late for the win.
- McNamara scored a team-high two goals, both off penalty corners.
- Lauren Kaup had a goal for the Rams.
- Spencer Tossone had two assists.
- Natalie Bohmke and McKenzie Bowler each had an assist on a penalty corner.
- VCU held a decisive edge in shots at 17-6 and 11-4 in shots on goal.
- The Rams had an 8-6 advantage in penalty corners.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Jamee Albright had the first chance of the game in the 5th minute but her shot was saved.
- Emily McNamara came very close in the 6th minute as her shot was saved and hit off the crossbar.
- A penalty corner in the 14th minute led to a shot from Rebecca Ward that forced another save from Towson's goalkeeper Emilee Woodall
- The Rams broke the scoreless deadlock in the 24th minute as Kaup wrestled the ball from a Towson defender and placed a shot at the far post to beat the goalie.
- The Tigers answered in the 33rd minute off a penalty corner as Korena Shaw made it 1-1.
- The Rams came out in the second half and scored in the 42nd minute on a penalty corner as Tossone passed the ball to Bohmke who laid it off for McNamara's goal.
- VCU made it 3-1 in the 56th minute as McNamara scored her second as Tossone's penalty corner pass went to Bowler who set up McNamara.
- Towson pulled back within a goal and made it 3-2 in the 62nd minute on a goal from Sabrina Davis.
- The Rams thwarted the Tigers' final attempts including two late penalty corners as time expired.
VCU travels to St. Francis (Pa.) on Sunday for a 1 p.m. game.