Oct 12, 2016
Final Score: VCU 3, Longwood 1
Location: Athletics Complex (Farmville, Va.)
Records: VCU 4-8, Longwood 6-8
- McNamara scored two goals and had one assist for the game.
- Tossone had two assists for the Rams, both on penalty corners.
- Jamee Albright scored one goal for VCU and Rebecca Ward had an assist.
- Longwood outshot VCU 17-9 overall but the Rams were efficient as the Lancers only had a 10-8 edge in shots on goal.
- Chessa Kownurko made nine saves on the 10 shots on goal she faced.
- Longwood held a 10-5 edge in penalty corners but the Lancers were held scoreless on those opportunites while the Rams scored twice off penalty corners.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU had the first chance of the game in the 14th minute as McNamara's shot forced a save from Longwood's keeper Lauren Bernard.
- The Rams continued to apply pressure on an ensuing penalty corner as another shot from McNamara and a follow up from Albright both required saves from Bernard.
- The Rams' defense prevented the Lancers from recording their first shot on goal until the 21st minute. The Lancers had five additional shots on goal to end the first half but they were all saved by Kownurko.
- VCU broke the scoreless deadlock just over a minute into the second half as McNamara found Albright who shot the ball to the back post to beat Bernard.
- Longwood would tie the game 1-1 in the 43rd minute as Edel Nyland dribbled down the left side and scored unassisted.
- The Rams claimed the lead for good on a penalty corner in the 49th minute as Tossone fed the ball in to Rebecca Ward who then passed to an open McNamara for the goal.
- VCU made it 3-1 on another penalty corner with just under two minutes to play and sealed the victory. Tossone found Bohmke on the penalty corner who set it up for McNamara's goal.
VCU plays host to Towson on Oct. 14 for a 5 p.m. contest.