Final Score: Massachusetts 2, VCU 0
Location: Cary Street Field (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 3-8 (1-4), Massachusetts 7-5 (3-0)
The Short Story: Massachusetts scored in the first minute but the Rams held the Minutewomen in check until UMass doubled its lead in the 59th minute.
- Chessa Kownurko made eight saves for the Rams in the cage.
- UMass outshot VCU 16-8 overall but only 8-7 in the second half.
- The two teams were even on penalty corners at 4-4.
- Emily McNamara had a team-high four shots with two shots on goal.
- Colleen Rogers had two shots for VCU, both on frame.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- UMass scored the first goal just 51 seconds into the game. Sarah Hawkshaw fed the ball in to the near post where Izzie Delario scored.
- Emily McNamara had a shot off a penalty corner in the 24th minute that was blocked.
- Rogers had a shot in the 40th minute saved by the UMass goalkeeper.
- Less than a minute later, Bentley Zabicki's shot was blocked and Alexis Albright's follow up shot forced another save.
- In the 49th minute, McNamara had a shot off a penalty corner that put pressure on Hazard but she was able to make the save.
- The Minutewomen scored in the 59th as Sarah Hackshaw found room in the middle of the circle to get her shot off.
The Rams have a rematch with Longwood at 6:00 p.m. on Oct. 12.