Final Score: Saint Joseph's 3, VCU 2
Location: Ellen Ryan Field (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Records: VCU 3-7 (1-3), Saint Joseph's 8-4 (4-0)
The Short Story: After a first half that saw the teams tied 1-1 at the break, Saint Joseph's got two goals in a four-minute span early in the second half and held off VCU's late rally for the narrow victory.
- Spencer Tossone recorded two assists for the game.
- Emily McNamara scored a goal in the 35th minute.
- Rebecca Ward scored for VCU in the 69th minute.
- McNamara had a team-high seven shots with four shots on goal.
- Ward recorded four shots with two of them coming on frame.
- Chessa Kownurko recorded eight saves in the cage.
- VCU led the Hawks in penalty corners 10-9.
- Saint Joseph's held a 27-15 edge in total shots and an 11-6 advantage in shots on goal
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU's first opportunity of the game came in the 17th minute on a penalty corner but Ward's shot was ultimately blocked.
- In the 19th minute, the Hawks' Anna Willocks dribbled the ball into the circle before scoring unassisted to give Saint Joseph's a 1-0 lead.
- The Rams tied the game at 1-1 with 45 seconds left before half as Tossone fed McNamara a pass at the top of the circle and her long range shot beat Victoria Kammerinke.
- In the 43rd minute McNamara's shot off a penalty corner forced a save from Kammerinke.
- Saint Joseph's regained the lead in the 47th minute on a penalty corner as Willocks scored her second goal of the game.
- Just three minutes later the Hawks increased their lead to 3-1 as Joely Helder scored off a pass from the penalty corner.
- The Rams didn't back down as McNamara forced saves on back-to-back penalty corners in the 55th minute.
- VCU closed the deficit to 3-2 with just under two minutes remaining as Ward scored on a penalty corner with an assist from Tossone.
VCU faces Massachusetts at 2 p.m. on Friday Oct. 7.