Final Score: VCU 5, Appalachian State 1
Location: Adcock Field (Boone, N.C.)
Records: VCU 3-3, Appalachian State 1-5
The Short Story: The Rams got two goals in the first 11:30 and cruised to a 3-0 halftime lead before adding two more goals in the second half. VCU won its second-straight game with both wins coming on the road.
- VCU outshot the Mountaineers 15-11 for the game including a 10-8 edge in shots on goal.
- Emily McNamara had a team-high two goals and one assist.
- Alexis Albright, Krystal Mayers and Spencer Tossone each scored one goal for VCU.
- McNamara also had a team-high eight shots with five of them coming on frame.
- Chessa Kownurko made four saves in the five shots she faced on goal.
- VCU led in penalty corners 8-5 over Appalachian State.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Tossone opened the scoring in the sixth minute as she tipped the ball in off a corner attempt getting assists from McNamara and Natalie Bohmke.
- VCU doubled its lead in the 12th minute as Albright scored an unassisted goal.
- The Rams would push their lead to 3-0 with just three minutes left before halftime as McNamara scored off a Mayers cross.
- Mayers would get a goal in the 47th minute to make it 4-0 as she put in a rebound with an assist from Tossone.
- The Mountaineers would score their only goal of the game two minutes later as Rebecca McLean's shot to the left side was good.
- The Rams would answer right back and put the game out of reach as McNamara scored her second of the day in the 51st minute to make it 5-1.
VCU will return home on Friday Sept. 23 at 4 p.m. to face A-10 opponent Lock Haven.