Final Score: VCU 3, Davidson 2
Location: Belk Turf Field (Davidson, N.C.)
Records: VCU 2-3 (1-0), Davidson 1-6 (0-1)
The Short Story: The Rams and Wildcats traded goals in the opening 10 minutes before VCU took control on a goal in the 24th minute by Rebecca Ward and doubling its lead just out of halftime on a McKenzie Bowler penalty stroke.
- VCU outshot the Wildcats 14-10 for the game with a definitive 11-5 edge in shots on goal
- Lauren Kaup, Ward and Bowler each scored a goal for VCU.
- Emily McNamara had a team-high five shots while Spencer Tossone recorded four and Ward had three.
- Five VCU players recorded at least one shot during the contest.
- The Wildcats had a 10-7 advantage in penalty corners.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams got on the board first as Kaup scored from 10-yards out into the upper corner off an Alexis Albright assist. The goal came in the sixth minutes.
- The Wildcats answered just three minutes later as Paige Dav Albert scored to tie it 1-1.
- VCU would take the lead for good in the 24th minute as Ward capitalized as she tapped in the rebound from McNamara's shot that hit off the post.
- The Rams pushed their lead to 3-1 in the 42nd minute on a penalty stroke from Bowler.
- The Wildcats scored their last goal at the final whistle off a penalty corner to make it 3-2.
VCU will play its third-straight road game at 1 p.m. on Sept. 18 at Appalachian State.