Final Score: No. 3 UNC 6, VCU 0
Location: Henry Stadium (Chapel Hill, N.C.)
Records: VCU 1-3, UNC 5-1
The Short Story: The No. 3 Tar Heels, last year's national runner-up, scored five first-half goals to pull away from the Rams.
- Chessa Kownurko made nine saves for the Rams.
- VCU held UNC to only one goal during the second half on three shots.
- Emily McNamara and Kaylee Maunz each recorded a shot for VCU with both coming on frame.
- The Tar Heels outshot the Rams 21-2 for the game and 15-2 in shots on goal.
- UNC held a 4-1 edge in penalty corners.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The game was deadlocked for the first nine minutes until UNC's Megan DuVernois scored off a pass from the right end line.
- The Tar Heels' Eef Andriessen scored just over two minutes later off a one-on-one situation to make it 2-0.
- UNC would scored four goals in just over a five-minute span between the ninth and 16th minute.
- Gab Major would score in the 26th minute to give the Tar Hells a 5-0 lead at halftime.
- UNC would score the final goal of the game in the 62nd minute on a Tanner Watson goal.
VCU will play its third road game of the season at 6 p.m. on Sept. 16 at Appalachian State.