Final Score: Rutgers 5, VCU 0
Location: Bauer Track & Field and Field Hockey Complex (New Brunswick, N.J.)
Records: VCU 0-2, Rutgers 1-1
The Short Story: VCU goalkeeper Chessa Kownurko made 10 saves for the Rams as they only trailed 1-0 at halftime before Rutgers pulled away in the second half.
- The Rams and Rutgers were deadlocked at 0-0 for the first 29 minutes of the game.
- Kownurko helped to keep the Rams within striking distance of the Scarlet Knights as she made six saves in the first half. VCU only trailed Rutgers 1-0 going into halftime.
- Emily McNamara recorded a team-high five shots with two shots on goal.
- Jamee Albright had two shots and Kaylee Maunz had one for VCU with each player having one shot on goal.
- The Scarlet Knights outshot VCU 24-8 for the game and held a 13-4 advantage in penalty corners.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emily McNamara had a shot off a penalty corner go wide at the 24:35 mark.
- Jamee Albright had her shot attempt just two minutes later saved by Shevaun Hayes.
- Rutgers scored the games first goal after Jade Dixon dribbled up and fed the ball in front for Rachel Yaney who finished.
- The two teams went into halftime with the score only 1-0 in favor of Rutgers.
- The Scarlet Knights scored first in the second half off a penalty corner as Devon Freshnock scored six minutes into the half. Linde van Schaik scored three minutes later off of a rebound.
- Rutgers scored the final two goals of the game at 59:38 off a penalty corner by Freshnock and the last goal was scored at 60:15 as Linde van Schaik scored her second goal of the day.
VCU has its home opener on Sept. 9 as the Rams host Longwood.